Monday, September 24, 2012

Boots, Scarves, and Pumpkin Spiced Lattes

Courtesy of Mack's Apples in Londonderry, NH

It’s that time of year again, my favorite time of year. Fall! I celebrated this weekend by apple picking with my boyfriend, Phil (see his picture above...) I ceremoniously wore my boots to work today, I just couldn’t help myself! This is the season for apples and pumpkins, costumes and scarves. I usually go into hibernation mode, eating apple crisp, apple pie, and apple tarts all while caring less about the calories and fat content. Bring it on!
Autumn. Who can resist the mixture of cool and warm temperatures? Perfect for drinking a cup of coffee outside on the porch or sipping a glass of wine on the back patio… The mornings are cool and the afternoons, mild. It’s the perfect running season, which makes me more than happy (no longer do I have to worry about sweating profusely or not being able to breathe correctly due to the extra moisture in the air). These spectacular temperatures are caused by the Earth non-tilt; fall is characterized by an equinox, when Earth is neither tilted toward nor away from the Sun. (Yup, you can call me Sheldon…). Our equator is in perfect line with the Sun.

The weather that is created from this non-tilt creates instances when a light jacket and an accent scarf are not only considered fashionable but serve a purpose, especially here in New England. I love wearing a sweatshirt on a Sunday afternoon watching my beloved New England Patriots plow their opponents (more recently choke, but it’s early in the season people…don’t lose hope!). This behavior only feels right in September, October, and November. (I know that the football season extends into winter, but watching a game at Gillette is so much better when you don’t have to don 16 layers of clothing…)
Now, I know that Spring is supposed to be a time of new beginnings, but for some reason I feel this renewal in Fall. The world changes, from a world of green and luscious plants to a dreamscape of bright colors. Most trees release chemicals causing their leaves to change, chemicals that only exist when the weather changes from sweltering to cool. Yes, the leaves may fall off the trees, but it makes way for new life, new beginnings. It rids itself of the old and paves way for the new.

So here’s to a new beginning. Enjoy the weather fellow New Englanders! Buy a pumpkin spiced latte. Wear those boots proudly. And know that life keeps moving, changing, closing doors to one season and opening others to different opportunities, positive changes and exciting prospects. Here’s to Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment