Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Chick Flicks...

Last night, I was totally "girlie"... And how did I classify this notion you ask? Well, I did my nails. Yup, that's right. For the first time in about a month my nails are perfectly rounded, not too long or short, and are rocking a taupe-mauve polish--perfect for the "professional world."

And as if this was not "girlie" enough, I also reveled in the sounds and images of a good ol' fashion chick-flick...Younger versions of Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan starring in one of my favorites, Sleepless in Seattle. The perfectly witty film about a lonely, young, widower (Hanks), his caring and over concerned son, and the hopeful woman destined to make their lives complete (Ryan).

Now I'm not going to get into the unrealistic plot or the daring decision to place this winter love-story in one of the gloomiest cities in the United States. That would be too much and quite frankly ruin the happiness that I felt after watching the ending. I want to talk everything that Sleepless in Seattle is:

This film is a classic. I think it is fair to say that a majority of Americans have seen this film, or at least heard the title being thrown around in conversation. Classic scenes, like when Annie peels the skin of an apple in one long strip (coincidentally--or not--coinciding with Sam's favorite qualities about his late wife), are heat-warming to any woman in America.

www.victoriadreste.blogspot.com

The cast of A-list actors is one of the best collaborations of our time: Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, Rosie O'Donnell, Rita Wilson, Bill Pullman, David Hyde Pierce, etc., etc.. An Affair to Remember is strategically integrated throughout the film to reinforce the destiny of the two main characters. It is the home of countless memorable lines, some of which can't help but make you swoon or giggle:

"Now that was when people KNEW how to be in love. They knew it! Time, distance... nothing could separate them because they knew. It was right. It was real. It was..."- Annie Reed

"I am NOT going to New York to meet some woman who could be a crazy, sick lunatic! Didn't you see Fatal Attraction?" - Sam Baldwin

I love the feeling this chick-flick film gives me. In fact I am a fan of this genre in general. Most may be sappy and lack some genius writing (whether or not this film did is debatable). But they give a girl hope. Hope that love (not just for a partner) can be found, even in the most unlikely of circumstances. Hope in the magic of destiny. Hope in the existence of happiness. And hope that one of these days, my nails are actually something worth prioritizing...at least while watching a chick-flick.



2 comments: