Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11

On this eleventh anniversary of this somber day, I am dedicating this post to remembrance. This day, exactly eleven years ago, I was laying in my bed thinking. It had been a day of confusion...I felt lost and scared and alone. I remember I was in sixth grade, sitting in what was supposed to be the block I had Spanish. A guidance counselor was telling us the most up-to-date information about the attacks, waiting for us to ask questions. I was nervous. What if I had family flying that day? My Nana was in Las Vegas trying to get home... Was she involved in any way?

After hearing that my Nana was safe in Las Vegas, I watched the news with my parents. I stared at the images of firefighters rummaging through steaming piles of scrap metal. It was had to believe that it was once intricately welded into some of the tallest buildings in the world. It was amazing to me; something so strong and so tall reduced to dust in a matter of minutes. How would we ever recover?

But we did. We became stronger. Our true colors shone, bright and true. Red, white and blue unfading, not running. We fought and we decided to rebuild. These actions and values are what built this country:  dedication, determination, pride and freedom. Two-hundred years later these are still present in each and every one of us. At the end of the day, even in this recession, we are proud of this country and happy to live within these boarders.

So tonight I thank those physically fighting overseas for our country; you are so brave and I owe my freedoms to you. My heart and prayers are with those who lost family members eleven years ago. You are always in our hearts. Always remember. Always.

*NYC*

No comments:

Post a Comment