Tuesday, July 3, 2012

So You Think You Can Write? Prove It...

The current news about the American economy is not exactly what one would call uplifting.  In fact it is usually downright pathetic.  No one denies that; especially the newest graduating college classes.  As a communication student, I feel that I am no different.  Looking into the future, friends and family want to know the number one concern regarding my entry into the job market.  To every person I answer—how to separate myself in an applicant pool of hundreds of other new-grads and qualified unemployed individuals who have work experience.  

My past internship at Komen MA, I asked my supervisor, the Director of Marketing Communications, this question.  I was expecting an answer involving versatility, knowledge about emerging technologies, or personal and professional charisma; her answer surprised me.  “Go back to the basics.  No one can ignore a really good writer.”  For the next few months this is what I did:  wrote emails, crafted social media posts, composed formal letters to public officials, created posters that included key Komen messaging, developed a script for their biggest fundraiser of the year, generated participant surveys, etc.  Needless to say, my writing skills have developed.  
Do I think this is the only skill that you need to get a job in today’s economy?  By all means, that is not what I was inferring.  Being able to effectively verbalize messages, inhabiting a personality and a professional attitude, and versatility are all important skills to companies who are hiring.  However, a really good, well-developed set of writing skills can almost guarantee a position somewhere in some industry.


This being said, Endicott should really include classes that are strictly writing-designated within the marketing communication concentration.  This way most of the students in the class can practice tailoring messages to different audiences.  I think a speech class should also be included in the curriculum; hopefully this will ensure comfort when speaking to a group of people or an individual.  Another major part of any current job in marketing communication is knowledge of the current social media; a class on this should also be required of students.  


Yet, in the end, nothing can take away the importance of real world, actual work experience.  This is where I learned a majority of my current communications skills; nothing can take the place of this learning environment.


This was written for a college class I took last year... It truly does encompass what I believe in this industry in this day in age... I had to start with this!

No comments:

Post a Comment